- On January 27, 2022
Writing an outstanding resume is one of the most important aspects of landing your dream job. But more and more companies are utilizing a tactic that has changed the game and what was once an eye-catching resume may no longer stand out.
To streamline the hiring process, many companies are now using technology to “parse” resumes. Parsing something means extracting the key components from a sequence of words. It typically applies to the act of reading text and then analyzing and converting that text into something a computer can comprehend. Resume parsers automatically identify, extract, analyze, and store resume data which is then categorized, coded, sorted, and searched via an automated process to assist the hiring manager or recruiter.
Resume parsing software allows companies to find key skills, keywords, experience, and more than correlate to a specific job posting. Hiring managers and recruiters utilize parsing to sort through large quantities of applications and identify top applicants. By filtering out resumes that don’t have the key information they are looking for, parsing software saves hours that it would otherwise take to read through each individual application traditionally.
While the best parsing technology can convert hours of work into seconds, the task of interpreting language and gleaning information can be difficult to get right. This means you need to craft your resume in a way that will help get you noticed by understanding how the software works. Here is a list of things to keep in mind when drafting your resume that will ace the parsing process:
- Be brief and to the point.
- Make formats, fonts and texts simple.
- Include your name in the file name for easy identification.
- Submit your resume in a .docx format for maximum parsing compatibility *Note: If you send a PDF version of your resume, export it from the MS Word doc*.
- Simple headers for sections. i.e., “Professional Summary” or “Work Experience”.
- Use standard abbreviations, like VP, CEO, MS, and MBA. If it’s not common, parsing software won’t identify it.
- Keep your resume in chronological order.
- Use full dates in month, day, year format.
- Strong keywords listed in the job description that identify specific skills.
- Highlight achievements, awards and other noteworthy accomplishments
- List key projects and your role in each, along with their successful results.
- Note any memberships or affiliations meaningful to your career.
- Proofread and spell-check your work several times.
Job seekers should consistently update and review their resumes because what has previously worked may not help you land your dream job tomorrow. With just a few edits, you can produce a resume that will ace the parsing process and get you closer to that new opportunity. Staff Solve, just like a parsing system, assists job seekers by reviewing resumes and identifying key skills and experiences to help you find your next big opportunity. Check out our article on why else you should utilize a staffing agency, for both job seekers and employers.
Continuing to provide high-quality candidates and jobs in diverse markets for over 27 years, we take the stress off you so you can be ready for the next step, and help managers focus on their business by finding the perfect applicant for the position. If you are looking for employment, please visit our job seeker page and check out our job board for current positions. If you would like more information about the services we offer companies, benefits of utilizing a staffing agency or have additional questions, visit our employer page or contact us today.